These spicy and flavorful beans are absurdly easy to make. I made them for the first time with just what I had lying around the house. The chipotle peppers really make this dish, but the Canadian Bacon really added another element and depth to the flavor. I often make these beans to serve with any kind of Mexican dish I might make.
Makes about 4 – 6 servings
Total Calories per pot = about 730
Calories per serving = (4) about 183 or (6) about 122
- 2 cans 15.5 oz. pinto beans (about 80 cal. per serving or 560 cal. total)
Note: Some brands have much higher calories, so read labels. Goya brand is pretty good.
- 1/2 medium-large onion roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Note: Instead of the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt, you can try using a tablespoon of pre-mixed low-sodium Adobo seasoning.
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 or 2 chipotle peppers from a can (about 50 cal.)
- 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce from chipotle peppers in a can
- 1 cup of water (or enough to just cover the beans)
- Optional, but highly recommended: 3 to 6 slices of Canadian Bacon (about 20 calories per slice or 120 cal. total)
- Medium sauce pot
- Spoon or wooden spoon for stirring
- Cutting board
- Teaspoon measurement
- Measuring Cup
- Rinse the beans under cold water and place into the sauce pot.
- Chop the onion roughly into 1/2 inch pieces and put into the pot with the beans.
- Add the cup of water and bring the beans to a low boil at medium-high heat.
- Chop the Canadian Bacon into small 1/2-inch or 1/4-inch pieces.
- Once low boil is achieved, add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a low boil again.
- Let all of the ingredients simmer on low heat and covered for at least 30 min, but 45 min is recommended while stirring every 15 min or so.
- After that, remove the bay leaf and take out the chipotle peppers if you don’t want to accidentally eat them with the beans.
- Then serve hot as a side dish. Goes great with Mexican food like tacos and burritos, either on the side or even inside.